I received a promotional e-copy of Affliction Z: Patient Zero (Post Apocalyptic Thriller) by L.T. Ryan shortly after it was released. Frankly, it has taken a while for me to get un-busy to where I could dive in and read it. Tonight I will be starting the last chapter and I have to say — I have been ENJOYING it!
The book begins dark, mysterious, and energetic. About a dozen Navy SEALs parachute into Nigeria to rescue a team of Army Rangers who preceded them. While they have their mission details, what they don’t have is intel on what exactly they’re getting into. Shortly after they arrive they find out they’re in the middle of a zombie outbreak!
Beyond that, I will not give spoilers.
Here’s the great thing I found about L.T. Ryan’s writing…
Affliction Z: Patient Zero felt like reconnecting with a old friend — familiar and yet exciting discoveries from the unfamiliar interim. I would like to say that I couldn’t put this book down, but that isn’t the case. It has nothing to do with Ryan’s writing, it’s just that I’m a busy guy and binge-reading simply is not an option. To me there were attributes I found similar to The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Chiefly, its pace presses forward and that resonates well with me — every time I picked up my e-reader this Affliction Z book would take off again!
Elements I Particularly Enjoyed
- The military references and other particular details seem spot on. While reading I wondered if Ryan researched these or interviewed experts to get these right.
- The chapters are easily read in chunks — this is good for a person who loves to read yet doesn’t have much time.
- The situation the military guys are in is palpable! For me it pops off the e-page. I feel that I’m there with them in an unclear and unpredictable situation.
- I’m always looking for something new when it comes to zombies. Ryan presents possibilities I had never imagined for the character of the zombies — not just what their capabilities are and how the outbreak has occurred but also why.
L.T. Ryan has quite a few books and series of books to his credit — and after the first book out of his Affliction Z series, I want more! There are two other Affliction Z books and Ryan just released book four — titled “The Sickness of Ron Winters“. I’d like to get my hands on Affliction Z: Abandoned Hope (2013) and Affliction Z: Descended in Blood (2014) first.
- Affliction Z: Patient Zero (Post Apocalyptic Thriller) available on Amazon in paperback or Kindle editions
- AfflictionZ.com home page & book updates
- L.T. Ryan’s author profile on Amazon and Facebook